To be able to sign any consent forms for a child’s treatment, the person signing must have official “parental responsibility”.
- A biological mother will automatically have parental responsibility.
- A biological father will automatically have parental responsibility if he was married to the mother at the time of the child’s birth.
- If the parents are not married at the time of birth, the father can only have parental responsibility through one of the following routes:
* By jointly registering the birth at the Registry Office
* By a Parental Responsibility Order made with the mother (through a solicitor)
* By a Parental Responsibility Order through the courts (an official process)
- Adoptive parents and guardians will have parental responsibility granted officially through a court.