Involving young people
Young people may be involved either as participants in a fundraising activity organised by someone else (e.g. teddy bears picnic) or by taking part in an activity to raise money for Tiny Lives. In both circumstances, it is vital that you take account of relevant laws, guidance and good practice.
Important points to note are:
- Children up to the age of 16 must have parental permission to take part in fundraising.
- Children cannot normally take part in street or house to house collections. The age limit varies depending on the type of collection and the geographic area so please check with your Local Authority for advice.
- Age restrictions do not apply to younger children who accompany an adult collector.
- Any children involved in collecting money (for example sponsorship) should be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- If you are organising an event that will be attended by children, ensure that proper adult supervision is in place and that references and appropriate background checks have been obtained for children’s entertainers etc. If children are attending without parents, please seek advice on what child protection measures you must have in place.
- If you are taking photos of your event, remember that photos of children should only be taken with the consent of their parents or guardians.